Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Love it When You Talk Retro; Macy's: the Store, the Star, the Story

Language fascinates me, and I've read a few books on the history of word and phrase origins. It's always interesting. "I Love it When You Talk Retro" by Ralph Keyes examined the origins of slang in our culture, both current and past. It was pretty good, mostly interesting. A little too political for my taste in some parts, and he kind of injected his own opinions into the mix by calling "Pulp Fiction" an overrated movie and "The Truman Show" underrated. It didn't really add to the book; instead I just wondered what the hell? Unless you're a movie critic (or I ask), I don't really care about your taste in film.
"Macy's: the Store, the Star, the Story" by Robert M. Grippo was very entertaining: it read more like fiction than nonfiction. The only gripe I have is the size of the book. The copy I checked out was huge, like 9 X 13, which made it very difficult to hold and read. But it was full of interesting historical tidbits that put what was going on at Macy's into context. The pictures were a nice added bonus.

No comments: