Monday, July 18, 2016

Suicide Motor Club; Romeo and/or Juliet

I read the review for this one and ordered it for my library, and it was pretty good! It was fun to read about bad vampires again after so many books about good ones (and yes, I love "Twilight", I'm not making fun of it). Judith and her husband Robert are driving one night when a car comes out of nowhere and one of the occupants reaches over and pulls her son Glendon out of the car and into theirs. Judith and Robert end up crashing in an attempt to catch up to the kidnappers and Robert later dies from his injuries. Judith survives and decides to become a nun. While in the abbey, she's visited by a former priest who has made it his life's work to go after these vampires. He convinces Judith to leave the order and come help him on his mission. It was gory and exciting and they wrecked a whole lot of awesome muscle cars. If there's one thing I love more than vampires, it's muscle cars.


Ryan North's Choose Your Own Adventure style retelling of "Romeo and Juliet" was really fun. There were even some endings where Romeo and Juliet got to live happily ever after, although they mostly ended up dying. It put me in the mood to rewatch Baz Luhrmann's 1996 "William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet", which, I know, is a terrible, terrible adaption but I personally love it (as an undergrad, I took a Shakespeare class and my professor could not stop talking about her disdain for this version). Jesus, Leonardo DiCaprio was young! Of course back in 1996 so was I.
Sigh.
At any rate, I enjoyed this book and I hope he has the opportunity to do more Shakespeare. "Othello" would be great, that's one of my favorites.

No comments: