Monday, June 7, 2021

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home

 

I haven't been able to read, haven't wanted to read, anything really in weeks. Months. I've finished a few things here and there, but nothing like I used to. What I have been doing, however, is watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on TV.

A little backstory: I remember watching the first two or three seasons of "Buffy" when it first aired in the late '90s. Then I started working/going to school/hanging out with my boyfriend, and it was back in the olden days before DVRs (programming a VCR was a massive pain--I did it for the "X-Files", but not so much for anything else). So I never saw the rest of the series, but I honestly didn't mind too much. Except for a small handful of episodes those first few seasons, I wasn't terribly impressed by the show. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't as dear to me as "X-Files". It was so earnest sometimes and the characters seemed so young. 

When I finished binge watching "Malcolm in the Middle" a few months ago, I decided to see if I could get through "Buffy". I was feeling nostalgic. It took a while to make it through those first few seasons, some of the episodes were eye rollingly bad. But once I got into season 4, the whole tone changed. James Marsters, who played Spike, because a regular and the show got wittier and way more interesting. I flew through the last four seasons and because solidly Team Spike. I finished watching it last week and it destroyed me. 

I found out that the creator, Joss Whedon, hadn't wanted the show to end but Sarah Michelle Gellar, who played Buffy, didn't want to go on after season 7. I don't blame her, it must have been exhausting. So Whedon teamed up with a graphic novelist to continue the story, and this is the first issue. Buffy is living in Scotland and training up the new Slayers with Xander and Gile's help. Willow is off being a witch. Dawn has been turned into a giant, and Amy has put Buffy into some sort of spell. I'm eager to read the rest! They're out of print, so I had to order them used off eBay and I'm waiting for the rest of season 8 to show up. 

No comments: