Tuesday, August 6, 2024

How to Make a Horror Movie and Survive

 

This was a fun one. Max Maury always dreamed of being a horror movie director, and in the early 80s he got his wish, directing the "Jack the Knife" series. The third movie has just come out and is a success, but Max isn't happy. He thinks horror should be truly terrifying, and audiences are getting immune to it and finding his movies funny instead of scary. 

He comes across a camera that belonged to director Arthur Golden. Golden shot a horror film with it in which most of the cast and crew were killed in a freak helicopter accident. Max quickly discovers the camera is more powerful than it appears and decides to use it to shoot the most epic horror movie of all time. 

I can't say too much else without giving away all the good stuff, but it was a fun ride. I was surprised to see reviews for this book are pretty mixed online and a lot of people who read it hated the characters and found them unlikeable. I personally didn't feel that way, although I could see how one could. I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to reading more of DiLouie's works. 

No comments: