Saturday, November 9, 2013

Boleyn Deceit; Allegiant; Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets

A few weeks ago I read an advanced reader copy of Laura Andersen's second book in her trilogy "The Boleyn Deceit". I didn't care too much for the first one, "Boleyn King", but I liked this one more. William is determined to marry Minuette, just as Minuette is determined to follow her heart and marry Dominic. Wildly speculating here, but it seems like she's going to kill William off and have Elizabeth step in to reign, just like how it happened in real life. I was hoping for a little bit more reimagining, but all in all it wasn't bad.

"Allegiant" by Veronica Roth is the last of the Divergent trilogy. I enjoyed it, although it did get a bit complex for me at times. I might not have been paying the *best* attention to it. I tend to multitask a lot while reading, which I probably shouldn't do. But anyway, I thought the ending was great, a total gut punch I wasn't expecting but I liked because it seemed realistic and it surprised me.

David Simon's "Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets" was hands down one of the best true crime books I have ever read. Simon spent the year of 1988 with the detectives of the Baltimore Homicide unit, and he chronicles their trials and tribulations with trying to solve seemingly unsolvable murders. Oh man it was a tough read but very brilliant. I'm dying to read his next book "Corner".

No comments: