Thursday, August 24, 2023

Warsaw Requiem

I had forgotten how much I hated how the series ended. It was just so abrupt and left *so many* loose ends. But, I just discovered that there are three more books after this one, written after I read these for the first time back in the 90s. I ordered them online last night, so I'm looking forward to how it turned out for all my favorite characters 😀

Lori, Jamie, Alfie, and Mark are all able to get passage on one of the children's refugee ships to England, but the official decides Jacob is too old and denies his application. Before they are separated, Jacob and Lori marry. When they go to get on the ship, Lucy, who has just given birth to a son and is being pursued by Wolf, shows up, begging the ship to take her baby to safety. They refuse, so Alfie gives up his spot. He and Jacob stay behind with Sam Orde, fresh from Palestine. Lucy is reunited with Peter, who still hasn't found his mother or his sister but is eager to train with Orde and fight the Nazis. Meanwhile in London, Elisa (remember her?) has given birth to a daughter and she and Murphy are working on continuing the brave plan of faking passports to smuggle Jews out of Poland, only using British passports instead of Czech like Rudy was doing way back in book 1. 

Like I said, the book just ends, basically two weeks after Poland was invaded. Everyone's stories were still up in the air (except for the poor unfortunates who died--RIP Pastor Karl). After spending six books with some of these people, I would have liked a *little* more closure. Let's see how well the last three wrap things up. 
 

No comments: