Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Heads in Beds

 

I wanted to read this when it first came out but it was really popular and had long waiting lists, so I waited and forgot all about it until recently. 

Jacob Tomsky (not his real name) worked in hospitality, first in New Orleans and then in New York. He dishes all the dirt on how to get upgrades and comps (money, basically. Slip the front desk person a twenty and ask what they can do for you). He talked about how the bellmen (bell people?) compete since a lot of people decline help getting to their room. I've never stayed anywhere fancy enough to offer a bell person, the hotels I visit just offer a luggage cart that you can use and bring back, so there's that. I guess if I ever get financially flush enough to stay somewhere fancy, I'll make sure to tip the bell person!

I have cousins who work in hospitality, and some of their stories are wild, so this was fun to read and hear about similar experiences. 

No comments: