Friday, October 4, 2024

IT

 

I haven't reread "IT" in ages. It was just as engaging as I remembered. 

Seven kids, who call themselves the "losers", come together in Derry, Maine, during the summer of 1958. Bill, Richie, Eddie, Ben, Beverly, Mike, and Stan are the kids who are always being picked on by the bullies: Bill stutters, Richie wears glasses, Eddie has asthma, Ben is overweight, Beverly is poor, Mike is Black, and Stan is Jewish. Henry Bowers and his gang torments them, but there's something much worse going on in Derry. Kids are being brutally murdered, including Bill's younger brother, George. And the losers know what is doing it: an evil entity they call "IT". They go after IT and fight it. The murders stop, and the losers part ways. 

Twenty-seven years later, IT is back and the losers who made a vow to return if IT wasn't really dead are being called home to once again face off against the eternal evil. 

This was the first Stephen King book I read. I was thirteen. It had a very lasting impression on me, and I'm still amazed at what an awesome storyteller King is when he's good. This is one of the great ones. 

No comments: