Monday, June 16, 2008

Lolita; The Case of the Sulky Girl; The Case of the Careless Kitten; The Case of the Fiery Fingers

"Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov is a reread. I watched the movie a few weeks ago, and then wanted to reread the book. I've always loved this book; it's such a beautifully written love story. After I read it for the first time at the age of 19, I started imitating Nabokov's style in my own diary. Anyway, this time I noticed for the first time how sad and helpless little Dolores is. It kind of made me not like the book as much, sadly. It's so beautifully written. If you've never read it, it's not an easy book to read. It's about a middle aged man named Humbert who falls in love with a twelve year old girl. I know; I know: in real life, it would be sick. In fiction it's really not. I can't explain it.
"The Case of the Sulky Girl" by Erle Stanley Gardner was the second Perry Mason book, and his first appearance in court. Sadly, Della didn't have much of a role in this one. I actually guessed the right murderer before the end, even though I'm 99% sure I haven't read it before. Either Gardner hadn't perfected his technique yet, or I've read so many of them that now I'm starting to pick up on his style. I'm guessing the former.
"The Case of the Careless Kitten" has Perry defending Della. The D.A. has, as usual, trumped up charges against Della: this time for hiding a witness and interfering in a police investigation. Turns out the suspect Della was accusing of hiding had, in reality, been dead for ten years, and one of the murderers was in the hospital when the crime was committed. Perry figures out who murdered whom because of the acts of one careless kitten who almost loses all of his nine lives.
"The Case of the Fiery Fingers" featured two courtroom scenes, and so far, my favorite. Perry rips a witness up one side and down the other in both trials. In the first trial he was defending a nurse who took care of the man's injured wife of theft. In the second trial, the wife has been murdered, and her sister is accused of the murder.

No comments: