Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wake; The Baby-Sitters Club: the Summer Before

"Wake" by Lisa McMann was a rather thin YA novel about a girl who gets sucked into other people's dreams. There wasn't a whole lot of explanation going on as to how this actually happened or why, but I found myself not really caring all that much. It's a good concept, I think, just not written well.
And I have a guilty confession to make: I grew up reading the "Baby-Sitters Club" books. And "Sweet Valley High". At any rate, I gave away all my BSC books a decade ago (donated them to my local library! Yay me!), and I felt nostalgic for them after reading this new prequel by Ann M. Martin. She tells the story of the summer before Kristy came up with her great idea. Sometimes when you reread books you loved as a kid you wonder why in the hell you read that crap and liked it, but not the BSC. It was still a good story with good characters. I think I'm really just longing for simpler times in my life right now, before I became an adult and everything got all complicated :)

No comments: