Saturday, February 26, 2011

Elizabeth's Women; Last Sacrifice; Fables Vol. 14; Catching Fire; Katherine the Queen; Among Others; Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer

Okay, I need to seriously get caught up here!
First off, an interesting book about the women who influenced Elizabeth Tudor, "Elizabeth's Women" by Tracey Bowman. She had a lot of complex relationships with women, no doubt caused by her mother's death when she was just a toddler as well as having to be a woman trying to justify her ability to rule in a man's world. It was a good read and I enjoyed it.
"Last Sacrifice" by Richelle Mead is the final Vampire Academy book. That's sad, I've really grown to love and enjoy this series. I liked the way it ended, and there was a lot of suspense and action along the way.
"Fables Vol. 14" by Bill Willingham focused on the fables new enemy, the Dark One, who destroyed their Manhattan hideout. Frau Totenkinder goes in search of a way to defeat him while Ozma tried to take her place in her absence among the witches. Bufkin the winged monkey successfully defeats Baba Yaga (good for him!) and King Ambrose deals with a murder in his new peaceful kingdom.
"Catching Fire" is book two of Suzanne Collin's "Hunger Games" series, and it was great. Katniss is struggling to be convincingly in love with Peeta in the hopes of saving them from the wrath of the Capital in light of the recent uprisings. As a way of punishing them for their defiance, they get sent back to the Hunger Games. There was a shocking surprise at the ending, and I can't wait to find out what happens.
"Katherine the Queen" by Linda Porter was a well done biography about Queen Katherine Parr and highlighted her influence on Queen Elizabeth. Obviously no real new info here for me, but it was nicely laid out and very well written.
"Among Others" by Jo Walton is a new sci fi book that's been getting good buzz on a lot of the blogs I read. Maybe if I was more into sci fi and fantasy books I would have enjoyed it more, but I'm not, so while I could tell it was good I wasn't as enthralled with it as everyone else is. It's good, but not my cup of tea. I can relate to the lead character's deep love of books and her quick reading abilities, but not her choice of reading material.
And finally, a bit of fictional whimsy "The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer" by Lucy Weston. On the eve of her coronation Elizabeth learns she is a descendant of Morgaine on her mother's side. Morgaine was the original vampire slayer and died trying to defeat King Arthur's son, Mordred. Mordred is now battling Elizabeth for her kingdom. It was quite clever and original and fairly accurate, historically, for being fiction.

No comments: