Friday, September 23, 2011

Wanted; American Heiress

So book 8 of PLL was...interesting. I actually really enjoyed it, as improbable as the whole "Ali and her identical insane twin Courtney switching places" storyline was. I mean, it all fit together nicely enough. I wonder if Sara Shepherd had the ending in mind when she started. If she didn't then just, wow. I'm guessing she did, though.
"American Heiress" by Daisy Goodwin wasn't as good as I hoped. The ending kind of killed it for me. Cora Cash is a wealthy socialite living in New York at the end of the 19th century. She has everything: good looks, lots of money. Her overly ambitious mother wants her to have a title as well, so Cora goes off to England and meets an impoverished Duke. They actually do fall in love and get married, and Cora uses her wealth to restore the Duke's home and lands. But she finds navigating the tricky waters of high class British society quite difficult and everyone seems to be out to laugh at her mistakes. Cora handles it well, though, until she discovers her husband had an affair with one of the ladies she thought was a good friend to her. In the end she ends up staying with her husband, choosing to believe him when he says the affair ended after they wed. I frankly didn't see why Cora was so enamored with the Duke, he seemed like a tool, and I didn't like Cora, either. I really don't feel sympathy for wealthy, thin, gorgeous people. Shocking, I know :)

No comments: