Thursday, February 2, 2012

Knowland Retribution; Roots of Desire; Ruthless

Forgot a few last night when I was updating. "The Knowland Retribution" by Richard Greener is the first "Locator" book. Fox recently started airing a show called "The Finder", which is based on characters in the Locator books. It's a fun show, and as soon as I saw that there was a book I knew I had to read it. It was very good, very engrossing. Walter Sherman is a Vietnam vet who is known as someone who can find people and keep his mouth shut about it. When a sniper starts taking out wealthy New York businessmen, they come to Sherman to find the sniper before he kills them all. Turns out the sniper is a man named Leonard Martin. Several years earlier, Leonard's wife, only daughter, and two grandsons died of e coli poisoning, and so did several hundred other people. The culprit was tainted beef coming out of a meat processing plant. The awful thing? The New York businessmen knew the beef was tainted and could kill, but because of the risk of losing millions of dollars they decided not to recall the beef or shut the plant down. When Martin finds this out he is understandably upset and takes his revenge. It was a hard book to read for me because many years ago I developed an unnatural fear of food poisoning and basically stopped eating. While I'm better now (and even eat steak rare, oooh...) it reminded me of why I became so terrified to begin with. There are unfortunately only two books in the Locator series, and I hope Greener writes some more because they are very engaging.
"Roots of Desire" by Marion Roach examined the cultural history and significance of red hair. While I love my (natural) blonde hair, I always secretly wanted red hair. There's just something about it. A lot of people feel that way, but it hasn't always been so. For a long time and in many cultures, red hair was looked at with suspicion. It was interesting and a quick read.
"Ruthless" by Sara Shephard is the tenth book in the Pretty Little Liars series. Spencer is sure that Kelsey is New A who is sending them threatening messages about what happened with Tabitha in Jamaica. Emily is sure that Kelsey is innocent and that New A is really Ali, who she believes survived the fire in the Poconos. In the end it turns out Kelsey wasn't New A when she tries to commit suicide and is locked up in a rehab facility. The girls are still being taunted by New A. I personally still think Spencer isn't all she appears to be, the girl has some serious mental issues sometimes. I think there are only going to be two more books in the series, so soon the truth will all be revealed! Yay :)

No comments: