Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Extraordinary Ordinary Life; Death in the Air; Ice Harvest; Stunning

I like Sissy Spacek, and I liked her autobiography "My Extraordinary Ordinary Life". She's not likely to win over too many fans of women who had trouble losing the baby weight, though, as she brags about fitting into her blue jeans a few hours after giving birth to her second daughter and then going home, but other than that, I found her writing to be very down to earth and likeable.

"Death in the Air" by Shane Peacock is the second in his boy Sherlock series. I didn't really care for it too much. There was just a lot going on and I was having a hard time following the plot. And this is a children's book, which makes it even worse! From what I was able to figure out, Sherlock witnesses a trapeze artist fall to his death and determines the bar was sabotaged. While investigating who could have wanted him dead, Sherlock discovers that a large sum of money is missing from a vault in the adjoining room to where the trapeze artist was performing, and decides the dead guy saw the crime and that's why he was killed--because the thieves realized in advance he's be able to see them and cut his bar? I think? Yeah...I'm not too sure. Also, a gang was involved somehow. Anyway, I couldn't figure it out.

"Ice Harvest" by Scott Phillips was great, dark humor and lots of fun, a quick read. I've been wanted to read it even since I saw the movie (BBT whoop whoop!!). I'll have to watch the movie again (damn :) ) because I think the book was different. Anyway, Vic and Charlie have been stealing from their boss Bill for awhile now and have decided to blow town on Christmas, 1979. Everyone is double-crossing everyone else in this deal, and no one knows who to trust. Eventually Charlie ends up just killing everyone because he can't be bothered to sort the mess out. The ending was absolutely perfect, and I discovered there's a sequel. Great!
And finally, the next to the last PLL book, "Stunning" by Sara Shepard. Damn, I'll be sad when these books are done, as much as I'm dying to know who A is. I really have no idea! In this one, the girls thought that Gayle, Tom Martin's new wealthy benefactor, was A, after Emily told them about how Gayle tried to buy her baby from her over the summer. Turns out it wasn't Gayle, though, and now the girls are back to square one.

No comments: