Friday, August 31, 2012

Hide and Seek; Belles on Their Toes; Texasville; Artemis Fowl: the Last Guardian; Duane's Depressed

Sara Shepard's latest Lying Game novel "Hide and Seek" has Emma thinking that Mr. Mercer is Sutton's killer when she discovers he was out in Sabino Canyon the night Thayer was hit by the car and Sutton died. By the end of the book, he is of course cleared and a big twist I didn't see coming is revealed: Becky, the twin's birth mother, is actually Mr. Mercer's daughter, making the twins his grandchildren. Guess who Mr. Mercer was visiting in Sabino Canyon that night? That's right--Becky. Things are getting really interesting!

"Belles on Their Toes" by Frank Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth is a reread, a sequel to "Cheaper By the Dozen", focusing on the wonderful Gilbreth's after their beloved father dies. I love big families.

"Texasville" by Larry McMurtry is another reread, it's one of my go to favorites when I need cheering up. The first time I read this one, I think I was 17 or 18, and I stayed up all night, laughing so hard I was afraid I was going to wake my whole family up. It still makes me laugh.

The last Artemis Fowl book by Eoin Colfer "Artemis Fowl: the Last Guardian" has Opal Koboi and Artemis locked in a final showdown. After Opal manages to escape she unlocks a gate at Fowl Manor, unleashing the souls of the Berserkers, who have been buried there for a thousand years. The souls inhabit human and animal bodies and go after Artemis, Holly, and Butler, who manage to avoid the soul takeover. Opal is working on unlocking a second gate which will unleash a force that will destroy all of humanity, but Artemis has one final, desperate last ditch plan to save the world. Sigh. I'll miss the boy genius. It's been fun.

And finally, another Larry McMurtry reread, the third in the "Last Picture Show" series, and the one that should have been last "Duane's Depressed". Duane certainly does have a lot do be depressed about. It's not funny like "Texasville", but it's still good. I wish he would have ended the series here. Oh well.

No comments: