Sunday, September 23, 2012

Libriomancer; Killing Lincoln; the Internet is a Playground

There are a lot more, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I tried updating on Friday, and Blogger was being difficult, so I'll try again later. But in the meantime...

"Libriomancer" by Jim C. Hines was a fun sci-fi book about a librarian who is also a libriomancer--he can pull magic out of books. So if a book has a magical sword that slays dragons in it, Isaac can pull that sword out of the book to slay a dragon. Nifty. So Johannes Gutenberg, the head of the porters (who are the libriomancers' police) is missing, and Isaac, with the help of his trusty fire spider Smudge and a dryad named Lena, go on the hunt and discover Gutenberg is being help hostage by a guy named Charles, who was angry at basically having his magic and memories stolen from him by the porters. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't read the rest of the series. Sci-fi books are tough for me sometimes. If they're a little too far out there, I can't get in to them. This one was borderline.

"Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly was very thrilling but unfortunately there wasn't much new substance here, at least not for me. He examines the last two weeks of President Lincoln's life and the conspiracy surrounding his murderer, John Wilkes Booth. Booth had a group of people he was planning the murder with, and had also planned on killed vice President Andrew Johnson and Secretary of State William Seward. Seward was attacked but lived, and Johnson's killer chickened out and never confronted him. It's a sad chapter in America's history, and he told it very nicely. For someone who has read a lot about Lincoln and his assassination, it was familiar territory.

"The Internet is a Playground" by David Thorne is his first book. I had previously read most of it, but didn't get to all of it, so I took the time to finish. Lots of fun stuff, he's really quite entertaining.

No comments: