Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wilderness of Error; Chapel Noir; Dead West; Size 12 and Ready to Rock

There are more, so I'll have to update again later. I've found my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Getting older sucks! :)

"Wilderness of Error" by Errol Morris looks at the travesty of justice that is the Jeffrey MacDonald case. How this man was even convicted in the first place is a mystery to me. Years ago, a coworker who knew my love of true crime recommended "Fatal Vision" by Joe McGinniss. I read it, but I didn't like it, there was just something off about the whole thing to me. At the library I happened to find "Fatal Justice" by Jerry Allen Potter, read that, and went oh my god! Morris presents interviews with key players in the murder investigation and court testimony to show exactly how badly MacDonald was railroaded. It's a shame, it really is.

"Chapel Noir" by Carole Nelson Douglas is the fifth Irene Adler adventure. Irene and Nell are in Paris, and brutal slayings resembling the Jack the Ripper London murders are taking place, leading Irene to think Jack may have moved to Paris. Sherlock Holmes is a major character in this one, and he and Irene team up, with the help of a reporter in disguise, Nellie Bly, to investigate. The book ended on a cliffhanger: Nell was kidnapped by the Ripper suspect! Oh no! Poor Nell. I hope she's okay. If I didn't have so many other books to read right now I would be tearing into the next one, but alas, I'm afraid it will have to wait a bit.

"Dead West" by Rick Spears was a tepid graphic novel about an Indian in the Old West seeking revenge against the white man who killed his entire tribe. I didn't care for it, but at least it was short.

"Size 12 and Ready to Rock" by Meg Cabot is the newest Heather Wells mystery. Tania Trace, the new wife of Heather's ex-boyfriend Jordan, is being threatened by a crazy guy. Tania's getting ready to host a rock camp for teen girls, and decides to have it at Fisher Hall where she feels safe with Heather around, since Heather's so good at catching bad guys. One of the camera crew is murdered when he eats a poisoned cupcake meant for Tania. The teen girls are wild and out of control. Poor Heather. But at least she still has her gorgeous, rich fiance, Cooper, so I can't muster up *too* much sympathy for her.  

No comments: