Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Notorious Nineteen; The Casual Vacancy

Janet Evanovich's latest Stephanie Plum book, "Notorious Nineteen", was pretty good. Ranger hires Stephanie to be a bodyguard for the fiancee of a friends of his from when he was in the war in Afghanistan. It looks like one of the guys in their group faked his own death and is bent of revenge, coming after Ranger and his friend. Meanwhile, Steph is also trying to catch a skip and ends up in a nasty body harvesting ring.

I must admit, I had mixed feelings about J.K. Rowling's latest, "The Casual Vacancy". I read some reviews that said it was good, some said it was bad, some were in between. I felt that it was in between. I admit, I was probably harder on her because she *is* J.K. freakin' Rowling after all. If it had been published anonymously, I might have enjoyed it more. The main problem I had was the sheer number of characters she introduced. I spent at least 2/3 of the book wondering who these people were because I couldn't keep them straight. The plot was interesting, about what happens in a small village when one of the council members die and his seat is up for election. Everyone in town seemed to have an agenda they wanted to push. Mostly, this book made me want to reread Harry Potter.

No comments: