Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It Was a Very Bad Year; Feast for Crows; Walking Dead Vol. 17; Mistress of Mourning

Sorry, sorry! I was so sick in January, so sick I didn't even hardly read anything. Nine books total for the whole month, that's shameful. But I'm back so here we go!

"It Was a Very Bad Year" by Robert J. Randisi was a light Rat Pack mystery. 1963 was a very bad year for Frank Sinatra--first President Kennedy is killed, then his son, Frank Jr., is kidnapped. Of course good old Eddie G. from the Sands and his faithful sidekick Jerry are there to lend Frank a helping hand in his time of need.

"Feast for Crows" by George R. R. Martin is the fourth book in the Ice and Fire series, and oh my god did it disappoint me. No Dany, no Bran, no Tyrion. It was all King's Landing. Cersei was arrested and thrown in jail for trying to frame Margaery, which was great. I am so sick of Cersei. Poor Brianne is in bad shape after going looking for Sansa, who is, for the moment, somewhat safe with Peter Baelish. Arya is hiding out in Braavos, working for a fish monger, but when we left her she was blind. I'm not sure what's going on with her. Sam took Gilly and Maester Aemon to Braavos so he could learn to be a Maester, but poor old Aemon died. Oh, and Jaime ends the siege at Riverrun.

"Walking Dead Vol. 17" by Robert Kirkman picks up where 16 left off, and since I somehow missed 16, I was lost. Anyway, lots of bad things happened and Rick ends up capitulating to Negan's demands and doesn't want to fight anymore. Okay.

And finally, "Mistress of Mourning" by Karen Harper was so terribly dull. It was a medieval mystery involving the Princes in the Tower and where or not Prince Arthur was poisoned or died of natural causes. With the current news that the bones dug up in Leicester are indeed King Richard III (OMG!! Incredible!) I expect interest in the Princes mystery to gain new ground. It would be lovely if we could clear his good name. At least he will finally now have a decent burial place, and I'll get a chance to visit someday. Something to look forward to!

No comments: