Sunday, April 14, 2013

I Am Mary Tudor; Kind One; How Literature Saved My Life; Pitch Perfect

"I am Mary Tudor" by Hilda Lewis was a good fictional account of Mary up until she became Queen. The heartbreak of her early years, how her evil father tossed her sainted mother aside, how she struggled just to survive and maintain her dignity. Poor Mary. I always feel so sorry for her, even if she handled the whole Protestant thing pretty badly. She just wanted to be loved and wanted by her father, wanted a husband and kids. I can totally relate.

"Kind One" by Laird Hunt was a nominee for this year's PEN/Faulkner award. It was pretty good, about a young girl, Ginny, who is tricked into marrying Linus Lancaster with promises of a mansion in paradise. Turns out he just has a cabin and a farm and a bunch of slaves he mistreats and soon Ginny is mistreating them as well. When Cleome and Zinnia reach the end of their rope and kill Linus one day and take Ginny hostage, no one is really surprised. Or blames them. It was very sad.

"How Literature Saved My Life" by David Shields was rambling and a bit hard to read. It was one of those books that makes me feel as if I'm not quite smart enough to understand it (and I'm probably not). Not a big fan of feeling like I'm being left out of an inside joke.

"Pitch Perfect" by Mickey Rapkin was really fun. My sister and I watched the movie based off the book a few weeks ago, and when I found out there was a book of course I had to read it! I really enjoyed it. Who knew collegiate a Capella was so competitive and cutthroat? Wow, these kids take this *seriously*. Rapkin's book was witty and read like a novel.

No comments: