Friday, June 21, 2013

NOS4A2

I have the worst time with this title :) "NOS4A2" by Joe Hill was absolutely incredible. I loved his second book "Horns", but this one was even better. And I loved how unlike his dear old dad, he didn't kill off my favorite character in the whole book. I kept telling myself not to get too attached to this person (I don't want to spoil anything) because Joe made this person very likeable and sympathetic, so I was braced for the death that didn't come. Yay! Anyway, the book is about special people like Victoria McQueen, who can use her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike to go across a bridge to find things that are lost, no matter how far away they are. Or Maggie Leigh, a librarian (woot!) who can use Scrabble tiles to spell out information about missing kids. Or Charles Talent Manx, who uses his Rolls Royce Wraith to kidnap little children and take them to a place he calls Christmasland, where it's Christmas every day and no one ever dies. Manx feeds off these children, staying young and alive in the process. Vic goes after him when she is 17 and he ends up in prison in a coma. Vic screws up her life pretty bad during the next 15 years or so but she does manage to do one thing right: she meets Lou and they have a son, Wayne. Manx's not dead, though, not yet and he manages to escape and goes after Vic's own 12 year old son. Vic's Tuff Burner is long gone, but she builds a new bike, a Triumph, and goes after Manx once again to save her son. It was powerful and epic and I loved it. Great!

No comments: