Friday, July 1, 2016

Dietland

This is one of those books I can relate to. Alicia "Plum" Kettle has been battling her weight her whole life, trying every fad diet and weight loss method under the sun. She's finally decided to have weight reduction surgery and is just counting down the days until her "real" life as skinny Alicia rather than fat Plum can begin. But then she notices one day that she's being followed, and she's surprised to be recruited by a sort of feminist fight club organization that's determined to change society's objectification of women and ridicule of overweight people. Lofty goals indeed. Plum soon finds herself ensconced in a house full of militant feminists. I don't hate men, and I certainly don't think they're all jerks, but then again I've never had some of the painful experiences with men that these ladies have. I do find it very ironic that women go to such extremes to make ourselves attractive to men, when we have what *they* want. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't they be doing everything they can to make themselves a good catch? At any rate, it was a good story and I found myself really rooting for Plum while realizing I should be rooting for myself a little bit more, too. I'll try :)

No comments: