Monday, August 8, 2016

Killer Look; Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 & 2; Prince of Annwn

I really enjoyed Linda Fairstein's latest Alex Cooper novel, "Killer Look". Now that Alex and Mike are dating, their bantering doesn't seem as downright mean as it used to. Perhaps Mike is still going easy on her after her kidnapping. Alex is trying to recuperate from the kidnapping and having a rough go of it--she's having nightmares, drinking too much. She's on leave from work and Mike is working a case of a fashion icon who was murdered and made to look like a suicide. Alex wants to help but Mike keeps begging her not to get involved. Of course Alex gets involved. They were able to solve the murder, and the book ended on a wicked good cliffhanger. Can't wait for the next one!
I wasn't expecting much from "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child". I was tempted to not even read it, but I did. Luckily, since it's a script it went fast. I don't want to spoil anything, but I just didn't care for it. An adult Harry Potter is, honestly, a pretty boring Harry Potter. It doesn't capture the magic of the books.
One good thing came out of reading Danny Goldberg's book a few weeks ago, and in it he mentioned how Stevie Nicks optioned Evangeline Walton's Mabinogion series for a movie. I love mythology, I used to devour books from the library when I was a kid on all sorts of myths and legends. They don't stick, though. I took classes in college on Greek and Roman mythology and I don't remember any of the gods and goddesses. Oh well. Walton wrote about Welsh mythology. In the first book of the series, "Prince of Annwn", Pwyll, Prince of Dvyed, is tricked into helping Arawn defeat his enemy Havgan. Pwyll accomplishes this, and meets Rhiannon. He wants to marry her, but she's been promised to another, Gwawl (I have to keep looking up how to spell all these names!). It was a fun read and kept my interest, which is hard with fantasy, it's always been kind of hit or miss for me. Maybe someday I'll finish the Arthur legend by Sir Thomas Malory. I keep starting it and getting part of the way through...

No comments: