Monday, March 27, 2017

Ripper: the Secret Life of Walter Sickert

I was really looking forward to Patricia Cornwell's "Ripper". I enjoyed her previous book on Jack the Ripper, where she claimed to have discovered compelling evidence that artist Walter Sickert was indeed the infamous killer. I didn't realize this book was basically an update of that one. There was some new information, and since it's been a dozen years since I read the original book I didn't remember every detail, so it was nice to get a refresher. She refuted her critics who claimed she destroyed art in her quest to pin the crimes on Sickert. She talked about some of the bizarre things that have happened to her since she started researching the Ripper, and how she feels compelled to keep searching for the truth. I would love to get Cornwell interested in Kurt Cobain's murder, I think we'd have someone in handcuffs in no time. The woman is doggedly determined, that's for sure. Of course after all this time we'll probably never know for sure (Jack the Ripper, not K.C., I still have hope for him), but Cornwell makes a strong case.

No comments: