Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

I was at my parents' house a few weeks ago, and my mom was watching a movie based on this book. I was watching it with her, going "the name Hannah Swensen sounds so familiar, I think it's a book..." and pulled out my phone, did the whole Google thing, and viola! It is a series I've seen for years, working in the bookstore and the library. The movie was actually pretty good, so I wanted to read the books, and I started with the first one. Hannah is a 29 year old baker who owns her own shop, the Cookie Jar, in Eden Lake, Minnesota. She lives with her cat, Moishe. Her overbearing mother, Delores, tries to throw her at every eligible man in a hundred mile radius, and the latest victim is Norman, a dentist who recently returned to town after his father died to take over his practice. Hannah doesn't think much of Norman at first, but as she gets to know him better she comes to appreciate his kindness and wit. Hannah's distracted by the murder of her milk delivery man, Ron, right behind her shop. She was the one who found the body, and since her shop is a hub of tiny Eden Lake gossip, her brother in law, Bill, who is a cop, asks her to keep her eyes and ears open and let him know if she hears anything. Hannah takes this to mean she is now a detective and starts straight up investigating. It was a fun, quick read, I enjoyed it. Hannah is very likable.

No comments: