Saturday, March 24, 2018

Master and Margarita

I can't tell you where I first heard about Mikhail Bulgakov's book, "The Master and Margarita", but it's been years, and I wanted to read it. My library didn't own it, so I asked a friend to get it for me from his library, and he did--in the original Russian. Which didn't help, as I don't speak/read Russian :) I finally got an English version and read it and...yeah, I might have been better off in Russian, at least then I would have an excuse for not understanding it! It was good, don't get me wrong, it was pretty darkly humorous, but I'm still not quite sure what it was about, even after reading a lengthy synopsis online. I think it's one of those books I'd have to read more than once to really get. The Master is an author of a novel about Pontius Pilate who is locked up in an asylum after turning his back on the world when his novel failed. Margarita is his loyal lover, unhappily married to another man. The devil makes an appearance in disguise, there's some funny bits about a cat that can walk upright and talk. Maybe someday when I have more time I'll try it again and see if I get more out of it.

No comments: