Thursday, January 31, 2019

Sugar Queen; Ronald Reagan: an Intellectual Biography

"The Sugar Queen" was recommended by Anne Bogel in her book "I'd Rather Be Reading", which I finished a few weeks ago and enjoyed. This book sounded really interesting: one of the main characters has books she needs show up when she needs them. That sounds like a fun superpower! This book was...different. I'm not sure what to make of it. It had some definite fantasy type elements: the books that show up, one character literally couldn't break a promise, so when he promised never to speak to another person he public he lost his power of speech around her, things like that. But I think it was supposed to be realistic. Josey lives a solitary life under her widowed mother's roof. She has a crush on the mailman and lives for the time each day when he comes to deliver their mail. One day a woman named Della shows up in Josey's closet (see, I told you it was different). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't terribly good, either.

I really enjoyed David T. Byrne's biography on Ronald Reagan. What I liked about it was that he was fair. He admitted Reagan's faults and pointed out what was good about other presidents, regardless of their party affiliations. I appreciate that sort of balance in books, since it is sorely lacking in most titles today. Byrne's examined Reagan's reading habits and explored how he came to his ideals and beliefs, what philosophers he learned from. I thought it was well done.

No comments: