Friday, March 22, 2019

The Center Square

I've been watching a lot of older films on TV lately, and I happened to see "Bye Bye Birdie" for the first time a few weeks ago. In my (not so very humble) opinion, Paul Lynde was the star of that film, and I wondered why I hadn't seen more of him. A quick Google search (God bless the internet) told me he was the voice of Templeton in "Charlotte's Web", which I remembered watching as a child, and he was on "Bewitched", which I saw a few episodes of in reruns. But what he was really known for was being the center square on the popular game show "Hollywood Squares". It was before my time (fewer and fewer things I can say that about these days, so I relish the chance) but I found some funny clips on YouTube (God bless the internet). It was disappointing to learn that his seemingly ad-libbed quips were actually scripted, but he delivered them so beautifully. Paul died in 1982 at the age of 55 from a heart attack. It's a shame he isn't more well known, he was truly very funny.

No comments: