Friday, February 7, 2020

Fiery Cross

I have to admit, the fifth volume of the Outlander series, "Fiery Cross", felt just a wee bit like fan fiction to me. Not that I mind much (I did, after all, like "Twilight" because Meyer wrote the story the way I wanted her to, which I'm not used to). The book starts out with a gathering of Scots in the New World. Brianna and Roger are married. Jamie's aunt Jocasta is set to marry as well, but the priest is arrested, so she decides to postpone her wedding. The Colonies are uneasy, and the Crown is sending out militias to put down the rebels. It's 1771, only a few more years until the American Revolution, when the rebels win their freedom and form the United States. Jamie and Claire know it's coming, but it's one thing to know and anther to live through it and figure out what to do. There were quite a lot of fun scenes in this one with the kiddos, Gabaldon said the reason she skipped 20 years between "Outlander" and "Dragonfly in Amber" was because she didn't want to write about Brianna being a baby because she thought it was boring, but she did a good job with it.

No comments: