Thursday, June 25, 2020

The Queen's Secret

I read "The Queen's Secret" in tandem with "The Splendid and the Vile", and while both books took place during the same time period and talked about the same events, they could not have been more different.
I wanted to like this book. Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) and WWII? Great! Now, I don't mind a bit of creative license with historical fiction. It is, after all, fiction, not fact. But the "secrets" she gave Elizabeth were so utterly ridiculous. She teased all through the book about the big secret with Bertie's older brother, David, who abdicated the throne for Wallis Simpson. By the time she *finally* got around to telling us what it was, I no longer cared because I'd already guessed and it was ridiculous anyway. She was also extremely repetitive. I really wonder where the editor was to say: "hey, you don't need to repeat this exact same thing 6 times". If you were even slightly paying attention, you got it. It's a shame, because it had potential to be a really great story, but it was just poorly told. 

No comments: