Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Blues in the Dark

I was a little disappointed by "Blues in the Dark". It seemed like it would be right up my alley: a crime noir, partially set in 1940s Hollywood. Karissa and her film production company partner Marcello stumble across a real Hollywood mystery: in the 1940s, up and coming actress Blair Kendrick died under suspicious circumstances. Her movies have never been re-released, and she has lapsed into obscurity. Karissa and Marcello decide to research her story for a potential film, but they are thwarted and threatened at every turn, making them even more determined to get to the bottom of what really happened. Every other chapter went back to Blair's point of view, telling her story. She fell in love with an African American jazz pianist named Hank Marley. I quickly guess the big twist, it was pretty cliche. I guess Benson's writing style just didn't appeal to me, he was very, very repetitive (I've noticed that about many books lately...) and he used quotation marks where he really didn't need to. It was just odd and threw me off. 

No comments: