Monday, January 31, 2022

Philip: the Final Portrait

 

I was very excited for this book, since I was such a big fan of Prince Philip's, until I started reading it and realized it was basically "Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Marriage", which Brandreth published almost 20 years ago. Had I known going into it I wouldn't have been as disappointed. While it was updated a bit, it seemed a slapdash sort of thing: the text talked about Philip in the present tense, especially in the footnotes, but occasionally in the past tense. One footnote referred to a list of Prince Philip's titles on page 420, but because of the added material the list was actually around page 460 or so. Not a huge deal, but things like that bug me. Doesn't anyone proofread anymore? 

All in all, I felt like Prince Philip deserved a little better.

No comments: