Monday, April 4, 2022

The Nineties

 

I've never read one of Klosterman's books. The covers are always interesting. I had that phone :) Since the 90s was the decade I was a teenager/young twenty year old, I was curious to see what he had to say about it.

It wasn't bad. It wasn't a nostalgic look back at the decade, it was a more sociological critique. He talked about how people have a hard time not applying the social mores they hold now to times in the past, something I've frequently found very frustrating. I try not to do it and to remind people I'm talking to that yes, we feel that way now but we didn't then. People by and large have very short memories, I've found. I think I'm coming off a bit more pretentious than I mean to. I just have a really good memory plus I've always kept a journal, which I enjoy going back and rereading, so things that happened decades ago seem very fresh in my mind. 

All in all it was okay. I disagreed with him on some things (Kurt's murder, OJ Simpson being guilty) but I've come to expect I'm in the minority on these issues, so I try not to get upset any more. Mostly what I took away from this book is how much I miss my clear landline phone. 

No comments: