Monday, January 23, 2023

Nothing More to Tell; Directed by James Burrows

I always enjoy Karen McManus's books, and this one was no exception. I thought I had it figured out (was a little smug about it, in fact) and, as always, I was completely wrong 😀

Brynn and her family are moving back to Sturgis, Massachusetts, and she'll be attending the same school she used to attend, St. Ambrose. The year Brynn moved, a popular teacher named Mr. Larkin was found murdered in the woods. Three students happened across the body: Shane, a popular rich kid, Charlotte, another rich girl who was in love with Shane, and Tripp, a scholarship kid who was friends with Brynn until just a few days before Mr. Larkin was killed. Tripp embarrassed Brynn in gym, accusing her of stalking him, and they never spoke again.

Mr. Larkin's murder was never solved, and now that Brynn is a senior she's interning on a true crime podcast called Motive and she's pitched an episode about his murder. She's given the green light, so she starts investigating. 

Everyone is lying, everyone has secrets, lots of red herrings and near misses. The conclusion was pretty good. It was a fast paced read with lots of twists. 


The first 2/3s or so of "Directed by James Burrows" was pretty good. He talked about Taxi and Cheers and Frasier, all excellent shows that I've watched and enjoyed. Once he got to Friends and Will and Grace, I was lost. I've never seen either show (it shocks people my age when I admit I never watched Friends. My sister made me watch an episode once and I was so confused, I thought two of the main characters were dating, based on how they were behaving, and she told me they were siblings). I know what Friends is about, I had no idea about Will and Grace. I know now, obviously, after reading his book. I liked that he didn't have anything bad to say about anyone he worked with, and I'm sure, Hollywood being Hollywood, he worked with some real ornery folks, but you would never know it. He was very gracious to everyone. 

I'm totally in the mood to go rewatch Taxi, though 😊


No comments: