Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Cinema Speculation

 

My parents and Quentin's mother had the same philosophy about movies. My parents didn't want to watch kids' movies, so my sister and I watched what they watched. "Beverly Hills Cop", "Risky Business", "48 Hours", things like that. Quentin's mother used to take him to all kinds of movies when he was a kid in the 70s. I really liked her philosophy towards violence: as long as it's in context and not just violence for violence sake, she was okay with him seeing it. He could understand why a father went on a murderous rampage after drug dealers killed his family. Logically we get it, even if we know he really shouldn't. 

I'm not a giant movie buff (shockingly, I prefer reading), so I didn't know a lot of the movies he discusses in this book, but his passion for them and the art of making movies came through loud and clear and I was able to enjoy his appreciation. I really enjoyed it, and I think someone who is a big movie watcher would like it even more. Tarantino divides a lot of people at my work. Some of my colleagues think his movies are garbage and others (like me) enjoy the heck out of them. There's no denying (I think) that he's definitely made a lasting impression on the business, for better or worse. 

No comments: