Tuesday, May 30, 2023

A Clown in a Cornfield

 

I wanted to read something silly, since I'm in the middle of a bunch of big nonfiction books, and I thought a YA horror might fit the bill. 

It's pretty hard to sum it up without some spoilers, so for the two people out there who read my blog, you've been warned. 

In a small midwestern town, the town elders (who are my age, by the way, so Gen X) are so disgusted with their teenagers' liberal, progressive beliefs that they decide there is only one thing to do: kill them all.

Okay, let me pause for a second here. I'm willing to suspend disbelief, especially in the case of horror books. And sure, maybe some people feel the only thing to do with someone who disagrees with you is brutally murder them, but I'm pretty confident those folks are few and far between. Convincing AN ENTIRE TOWN of adults to murder their kids just seems like a bit of a stretch. There isn't one adult who is not a right-wing fascist? Not a single teenager who isn't woke? No. Okay then. 

So, putting that aside, the adults dress up as the town mascot, Frendo, (a super creepy clown, hence the title) and go after the kids as they're partying in (you guessed it!) a cornfield. The super hilarious ironic thing is that the pro-hunting teen with the truck full of guns ends up saving the day. 

I don't think the author intended for it to be so hysterically funny, and yet, it was so on the nose I couldn't help it. And not only that, but he talked one of the girls who was really anti-gun into arming herself and she turned into a total killing machine. I guess guns are okay? Is that the message? I'm not sure (I am being a touch sarcastic 😂). Anyway, had the premise not been so insanely ridiculous I probably would have enjoyed it more, but I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes and shaking my head. And laughing at all the wrong places. At least it was a quick read!

No comments: