Thursday, September 7, 2023

Dunkirk Crescendo

 

All right, so the last book in the series. I gave up all hope early on of finding out what happened to my favorite characters and focused on the plight of all the new folks, who pretty much all got caught up in Dunkirk after fleeing various other parts of France. 

I knew about the miracle at Dunkirk from a movie I watched about Churchill, as well as a book I read about him during WWII. A civilian flotilla rescued over 300,000 English and French soldiers from the beach at Dunkirk and got them to safety. Everyone who had a boat, big or small, went out there to rescue people. Even so, the Allies had a lot of causalities, but without those brave people there would have been hundreds of thousands of more dead. Most of the new characters made it out, some did not. The last two pages of the book wrapped up everyone's story, a paragraph for each of them. Well, cheers, thanks a lot. And they didn't even tell us what happened to Sam and Lucy, if she ever got her baby back from Lori. I hope so.  

No comments: