Monday, October 16, 2023

The Awakening; The Case of the Vagabond Virgin; The Struggle

I was looking for a new show to watch, and Max suggested "The Vampire Diaries", since apparently I watch a lot of overwrought television aimed at teens. 

What can I say? I have a type. And *maybe* because I just finished watching "Gossip Girl" for the third time...

Anyway. I figured why not, let's give it a go. So far the show is really good. Of course I didn't get far before I decided I needed to read the books, too. Obviously. And simultaneously while watching the show, just so I can really confuse myself as to what is happening (the show differs quite a bit from the books). 

In the first book, beautiful Queen of Fell's Church, Elena, meets the new boy at school, Stefan Salvatore. He's absolutely gorgeous, and seems to want nothing to do with Elena. Since she's used to getting what she wants, she takes it as a personal challenge and goes after him with every tool in her considerable toolbox. Stefan has a dark secret (not that hard to guess, given the name of the series). He wants Elena, but he's scared for her safety. Even more so when his brother, Damon, shows up. Damon has a bad habit of taking things that belong to Stefan, just for spite. 


I took a short break in between Vampire Diaries books to finish a Perry Mason I had started. This one felt very familiar, I think I read it before, ages ago. 

Perry gets a frantic call at his office from Addison, a wealthy department store owner. A young lady he knows, Virginia, has been unfairly arrested for vagrancy. Addison wants Mason to do whatever it takes to bail her out, only keep his name out of it. He stresses what a sweet, innocent young girl Virginia is. 

Virginia plays the part well, but Perry doesn't buy it. The girl is up to something. He finds out Addison picked her up hitchhiking. Ironically enough, out on a lonely country road by a house his business partner just bought and whoops! just turned up murdered in. And can you believe it, right around the time Addison was driving by?! The main clue was the window the bullet went through and which side was on the inside or the outside. 



Book 2 of the Vampire Diaries. Damon is determined to have Elena. When Stefan goes missing, Elena and her friends finally find him trapped in an old well and rescue him. Elena gives him her blood to save him. She continues to walk a dangerous line, trying to keep on Damon's good side so he won't hurt Stefan, but not give in to the growing attraction between them (just do it, Elena. He's so much more interesting than boring, brooding Stefan). 

The book ends on a very interesting cliffhanger, and if I'd had to wait a year to read it I would have been frantic, but luckily, since these books are 30+ years old, I have book three ready to go. 


 

No comments: