Thursday, December 28, 2023

DMV

 

Bentley Little takes on the DMV. I think everyone has a DMV horror story. Mine's not too bad: last year I needed to renew my license and decided to get a Real ID. I applied online, uploaded the documents, everything was approved, and I made an appointment. When I arrived there was a line around the block, but I got to go right in since I had an appointment. I was still there almost 3 hours, it was insane. I'm sure Bentley also had a bad experience, and poured his frustration into this book.

The DMV is all reaching and all powerful. It can issue someone a driver's license that allows them to run people over, become a mass shooter, drive stolen cars, etc. DMV employees can kill people with impunity, and the police can't do anything because the DMV is above them. 

Zal and Bernard are programmers, working for a company that the DMV hired to revamp their online system. They keep finding very odd things in the database. Jorge is kidnapped and taken to a DMV "training" camp. Danny and his sister are also kidnapped after the DMV kills their father and taken to a "re-education" camp. It was a pretty wild ride. Not as gory as some of Bentley's earlier works, and of course the whole premise is ridiculous, but it was still fun. 

No comments: