Monday, January 8, 2024

Silent Film's Last Hurrah

 

I was sad I had no new Perry Masons to read this weekend 😞

I have no idea why I wanted to read this book. I am not a film buff in any way. I think I've seen maybe two silent films in my life. But you know what? It was really interesting. 

Once "The Jazz Singer" came out in late 1927, major studios realized that "talkies" were the way to go. Some movies were reshot either partially or entirely, some had musical soundtracks added for the theater (hybrids), but some movies were released as silent in the 16 months following. Know (at least to Meuel, I don't know if it's a real thing or not) as "the long 1928", some of the greatest silent films of the era came out during that period. Some stars were able to transition successfully to talking films, while others could not. It's amazing to think how quickly it all changed. 

No comments: