Thursday, April 11, 2024

The Woman in Me

 

This book was a departure for me. While I love biographies, I'm not a super big fan of Britney Spears. I have nothing against her, but my musical tastes tend to run more toward grunge and classic rock. 

Britney was obviously used by a lot of people. During her very controversial conservatorship, when she was supposedly so ill she couldn't even decided what to eat and when to sleep, she was recording new music, performing on stage, and acting. For thirteen very long years her father dictated her every waking move. She was spied on. She felt powerless. She said she did it all so she could continue to see her children. Any backtalk, any rebelliousness, and they would threaten to take her kids away and never let her see them again. 

Her writing style was pretty unsophisticated, but her story was pretty heartbreaking. Obviously you have to take it with a grain of salt. I think there were times when she was being a little less than 100% honest. That's okay, it's not my business if she wants to gloss over things that make her feel bad about herself. I hope she's able to pull herself together and be happy. I wish that for everyone out there. 

No comments: