Monday, September 16, 2024

The Fixer

 

I feel like I already know Fred Otash from reading James Ellroy's books, but of course those are fiction. 

Manfred met Otash a few years before he died, he lived in the same community as Manfred's parents. Otash was writing a book about his life as an officer with the LAPD, and then as the Private Eye to the stars. Everyone in Hollywood knew if you had a problem that needed immediate, discreet attention, you called Otash. Which is what Peter Lawford did when he discovered Marilyn Monroe's dead body. Otash had the house bugged and heard what happened to her, which Manfred didn't disclose in this book (or I missed it somehow). 

After Otash's sudden death, Manfred tried to get his book published, but no one wanted to touch it. Certain powerful people didn't want their dirty laundry aired. I hope it does see the light of day, I'd love to read it. But for now, this will do. Very fascinating. 

No comments: