Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Hour I First Believed; Twilight; New Moon; Eclipse; Breaking Dawn

I've been eagerly anticipating Wally Lamb's latest (took 9 years!) "The Hour I First Believed". I was sadly disappointed. He threw every miserable thing that could possibly happen to one person at this guy, and just kept going. It dealt with Columbine, Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, etc. There were so many little side stories going on that I had a hard time figuring out what story he was trying to tell. Just way too much. Plus, I hate to say it, but I'm just not entertained by authors who have nothing better to do in their fiction than complain about the President. I wish more authors would lay off already. We get it, we get it. Make me laugh, make me cry, but don't make me feel like I'm at the Democratic National Convention (or the Republican National Convention, either, for that matter. Although I haven't really run across a fiction author that does that). I probably won't ever read this one again, which is too bad, 'cause I went and bought the hardcover. Shoulda borrowed it from the library!
So then, before I went to see the movie "Twilight" (which was pretty awesome, BTW. I just wish they would have included some of the more humorous exchanges from the book in the movie, but all and all they did a good job and I thought the casting was fabulous. Since they'll have more of a budget for "New Moon" maybe they can make it longer and include more) I wanted to reread the book, and I ended up spending several days rereading the whole series, which was great. I picked up on all the stuff I missed the first time around because I was so anxious to get to what happened next! I think "Eclipse" is still my favorite. The scene when Bella, Edward, and Jacob are camping in the woods before the big vampire fight, and Edward and Jacob are sniping at each other is priceless. I know I'll definitely read all of these again, probably in six more months or so.

No comments: