Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just After Sunset; Ring of Truth; Your Heart Belongs to Me

A couple of really good ones over the last few days. First, Stephen King's latest collection of short stories, "Just After Sunset". Quite a few really good ones in here, and I'm not usually the biggest fan of short stories. But SK's are usually good. My fave was "A Very Tight Place", involving revenge between ultra-wealthy neighbors and a reinforced port a potty. 'Nough said. It was so deliciously gross, it reminded me of some of King's early great works, like "IT". I will definitely be reading this one again.
"Ring of Truth" by Nancy Pickard was the second in her series about true crime writer Marie. I liked this one better than the first one. Marie has written about a minister who is on death row for murdering his wife. He is a strong anti-death penalty advocate, and before his arrest was working hard to secure a release or reduction of sentence of a man named Steve, who was convicted of raping and murdering a teenage girl. Turns out Steve was innocent, and so was Bob, the minister. Bob was willing to sacrifice himself for the cause. He wanted to be executed and afterwards have it discovered that he was innocent all along, so people would be horrified over the death penalty. I know it sounds strange and convoluted, but it was actually pretty logical in the end. I probably won't ever read it again, but it was worth it the first time.
Dean Koontz's latest, "Your Heart Belongs to Me" really surprised me. I thought I had it all figured out and knew where he was going with it, but I was wrong (which happens all the time, so I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised). I liked it: wealthy Ryan Perry discovers he needs a heart transplant due to a rare genetic heart condition. His severe paranoia leads him to see things that don't really exist and suspect the people closest to him of terrible things. He does get a transplant, and afterwards a woman who looks suspiciously like the donor shows up, tormenting him, saying she wants her heart back. It was creepy and his message was well taken. I'll probably read it again someday. It was a fun quick read.

No comments: