Monday, June 15, 2009

Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

"Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" by Danzy Senna was a very short (less than 200 pages) work about her very racially diverse family. Her father was black and Mexican (maybe, there remains doubts as to who his biological father was) and her mother was Boston royalty and could trace her ancestors all the way back to the Mayflower. I'm not 100% sure what this book was supposed to be about: if I knew any of these people, I suppose it would have been interesting, but since I don't it was kind of boring. She didn't go in depth at all into racial tensions in America in the 1960s, when her parents married, she didn't really explore what it was like for her, growing up biracial. I guess I was kind of hoping for something more like Bliss Broyard's "One Drop". At least it was a quick read.

No comments: