Monday, January 11, 2010

Generation A

Douglas Coupland is a strange bird. I've read everything he's written, and some of it I like, some of it I don't really care for, but I've never hated anything he's written. It's always interesting, I'll say that for him. "Generation A" fell into the not crazy about it category. A group of young adults in the not so distant future are stung by bees in five different locations throughout the world, after bees have become extinct due to the new wonder drug everyone is taking to make them feel disconnected from the world. I know there's a bigger message here, etc., metaphors for the state of society today and whatnot, but I just want a good story, so I don't pay attention to things like that. I'd rather reread "Microserfs", his first novel.

No comments: