Sunday, February 28, 2010

To Hell on a Fast Horse; The Man Who Loved Books Too Much; Horns

"To Hell on a Fast Horse" by Mark L. Gardner examined the strangely intertwined lives of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. It was interesting to find out what happened to Garrett after he supposedly murdered the Kid (I still don't want to believe it, although I must admit it does seem to be more and more likely). No real new information on Billy the Kid, but I think I've probably read everything there is out there about him.
"The Man Who Loved Books too Much" by Allison Hoover Bartlett was a great, quick read. I enjoyed this nonfiction title more than I've enjoyed any others I can think of in recent memories. She looked at the life of notorious rare book thief, John Gilkey, as well as the world of rare books. Very interesting, and I can certainly relate to the whole "loving books too much" bit.
"Horns" by Joe Hill honestly blew me away. I read his first book, "Heart Shaped Box", and wasn't terribly impressed by it. It was good, but not great, and I didn't get why all the critics were falling all over themselves, praising it (other than the fact that he's Stephen King's son). This one, though, this one was wow. Great story about the worst human tendencies that makes us question whether or not we can ever really trust what we know about another human being. I literally could not put it down yesterday, and when I finished it last night, even though I had another new book I was eager to dive into, I just couldn't bring myself to read any more. It spoiled me for another book (at least for the evening).

No comments: