Saturday, March 6, 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

So Seth Grahame-Smith, author of the hilarious mash-up "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" is back with a fictionalized account of the life of one of our greatest presidents, Abraham Lincoln. I really enjoyed this book up until the last three pages: I thought it was clever and funny and that if Abe Lincoln were around today to read it he might get a kick out of it (although I did catch an error--he killed off a character who was then back twenty pages later. Hello, editor? WTH?). The ending totally killed it for me. Just like that, dead. I read the last bit and wanted to toss the book across the room, preferably through something, like my sliding glass doors. I restrained myself, because it's a library book. It's unfortunate, because it really was a very interesting spin on Lincoln's life and what motivated him to get so deeply involved in the abolitionist movement. It even seemed remotely plausible, unlike Jane Austen's heroines killing zombies.

No comments: