Friday, October 8, 2010

Spider Bones, Angelina, Badasses, Assholes Finish First, Spirit Bound

New Tempe Brennan novel by Kathy Reichs! "Spider Bones" finds Tempe traveling to Hawaii to help determine why a man who supposedly died a hero in Vietnam has just turned up dead in Montreal. As usual, lots of great twisty plots going on and in the end they all tied together. Being in Hawaii means shark attacks and gang fights and of course her on again/off again partner Andrew Ryan pays a visit. Nice. I was proud of myself for being able to keep track of everything that was going on (no easy feat) and actually guessed part of the ending correctly! Yay me!
Andrew Morton's unauthorized biography of Angelina Jolie, "Angelina", was quite good. Very well researched and very dishy, as is typical of Morton's books. I doubt Angelina would enjoy it as much, since Morton portrays her as a victim of her mother's scheming and petty revenge against her dad, Jon Voight, and claims that she broke up with second husband Billy Bob Thornton for really no good reason (as far as I'm concerned, death is the only reason to leave BBT. And even then it would be with kicking and screaming reluctance on my part).
More football! "Badasses" by Peter Richmond was his story of the Oakland Raiders of the 1970s, those cheating little scamps that everyone loved to hate but boy did they know how to play football the old fashioned beat-the-hell-out-of-everyone way. His enthusiasm for his beloved Raiders was infecting and I enjoyed the book, although I would have enjoyed it more with a little less liberal use of the word "badass". Everything was "badass" this and "badass" that. Okay, I get it, I get it. Move on :)
Tucker Max is a jerk. And he admits it. And that's why I love to read his stuff. "Assholes Finish First" is his brilliant followup to "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell". I honestly didn't think he could top that, but he sure did. The Tucker Max Fest story, in which he and several other guys, are driving a rented RV drunk through the streets of Harlem--priceless. He's apparently writing another book which will detail the year he lived in Cancun while attending Duke Law School. I can't wait!
And finally, book five of the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead "Spirit Bound". This series was slow to start but has picked up considerably since book three and I'm enjoying them very much. Rose has graduated to become a full fledged guardian, and she and Lissa discover a way to turn the Strigoi (the bad vampires) back from the undead using Lissa's special spirit. They are able to do so with Rose's formal lover, Dimitri, much to the amazement of the Moroi community. While the court is still in an uproar about that as well as a controversial age lowering requirement ruling for the dhampir, Queen Tatiana is found dead with Rose's stake through her heart. Oh my goodness I can't wait for the next one!

No comments: