Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Push; Bigger than the Game

I haven't yet seen "Precious", the movie based on Sapphire's novel "Push", but I want to after reading the book. It was a tough, tough read: even though I know it's fiction the sad fact is that it is reality for a lot of people and Sapphire tells it so straightforwardly and so well, without any pity, that it rings true. Sixteen year old Precious is pregnant for the second time by her own father, and is kicked out of school. A guidance counselor arranges for her to go to an alternative school, and we find out Precious is very nearly illiterate. Her mother abuses her as well and doesn't want her to waste her time trying to get an education, it's much better to just go on welfare. Precious is determined to learn to read and write, though. Where she finds the strength to go on is beyond me, but damn, does it ever put my own life into perspective. I am reminded of Dave Pelzer, who I often think of whenever I think my own life sucks.
"Bigger than the Game" is Michael Weinreb's look at how the decade of excess, the 1980s, helped shaped today's modern athlete, starting with high school kids being recruited by colleges and given money and promises of more. What affect does all that sudden wealth have on a young athlete? It's usually not good, and he wove in the war on drugs that started up around the same time. It was an interesting read and really highlights how greed ruins otherwise smart, good people.

On a totally unrelated note: happy birthday to Stephen King!

No comments: